Friday, December 21, 2007

What a day!

In the wee hours of the morning we stumbled out of bed, threw on some clothes and grabbed the umbrella, because, of course it was pouring outside, and headed for Florida Hospital. We joined an amazing number of people waiting for surgery -- fa la la, what a way to spend the holidays.

They took Keith to be prepped pretty quickly, but I had to wait for awhile and fell asleep in the chair. After the second time they called for me (because of my little nap) I found Keith in one of those little cubicles, looking chilly and nervous. He joked that he still had time to change his mind -- I said 'no way.' And we sat together trying to avoid any serious conversation. A very nice man came in and shaved Keith's chest and the inside of his arms (to avoid tape sticking) and they took him off to take a shower and then we waited a bit more.

Finally, we moved upstairs to the operating area and once I found the place (couldn't use the same elevator) I waited for them to get him ready in the final staging area. The cardiac surgery waiting area was staffed with a volunteer, who was absolutely marvelous (a former cardiac patient himself). They offered help, a kind ear and assured me I would be contacted as soon as the surgery was over. Another staffer came out to give me a tour of the area and take me to Keith. At this point they had managed to put in various IVs. We spoke to the several doctors and nurses and everyone explained everything they were doing, or were about to do, clearly and kindly. One of the doctors described Keith's surgeon, Dr. Boyer, as one of the most gifted surgeons he had ever seen. (That's nice to hear!) Keith, still nervous, joked a bit and we gave a kiss goodbye.

I had to go to work for a couple of hours, but while I was there Dr. Boyer called and let me know that the operation went very smoothly and that there had been no complications. He also said he went ahead and took a more thorough sample of Keith's liver while he had the chance, just to be on the safe side. He said his liver had taken a bit of a beating from the radiation treatments, but that it shouldn't be an issue later.

Once I got to the cardiac intensive care unit where they had to put him after the operation (it was a very busy day evidently and beds were filling up) he was in a lot of pain and kind of sleepy, but a bit later he was more alert and was able to talk to me and smile. I told him about Boyer taking more of his liver and he quipped "did he get some onions to go with it?" That's my Keith, even full of tubes, with a breathing mask and in pain, he still manages to see the humor in a situation.

Right now Keith is asleep and I'm waiting to see him when visiting hours begin again for a little while. I feel very relieved and I think it will be very strange around the house tonight when I go home. We've been apart before, of course, but this feels different. Unnatural.

I know Keith will recover quickly. His battle scars with cancer will eventually heal and we will share stories of these days in the years ahead. But, for now, I will spend my evening sending him my love and I know he will feel that love even though this illness separates us physically.

As soon as Keith is out of the ICU and into a regular room I will post his room number and a phone number. Until then please keep Keith in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks to all. Keep well and have a wonderful evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's not easy to watch someone you love go through this. Keith is lucky to have you. I was glad to read the surgery went well... if you remember, please tell him Jamie asked about him. Otherwise, I'll be in touch with him when he's out of the hospital. Thanx, and make sure you take of yourself, too.

Anonymous said...

here at the Sentinel, our thoughts are with Keith. It is the Saturday shift and I miss my buddy. He always gets us some food around 8 p.m. Hurry back Keith, I miss my sushi.