Monday, October 22, 2007

Flu bugs and worry

Never thought getting the flu (or bad cold, or whatever the heck this is) could be so nerve-wracking. I finally picked up one of the nasty bugs floating around my elementary school. This is after weeks of wiping down desks with antibacterial cloths, handing out tissues and telling the kids not to hug me if they're sick.

Ordinarily this wouldn't feel like a big deal, but I'm terrified that I'll give it to Keith. The last thing he needs is a fever, or other flu symptoms. When I'm not asleep or feeling like I can't move, I'm washing hands, disinfecting things and worrying.

Dr. Z told me not to worry too much about it. We told him we've been mostly sleeping in separate rooms while I've been sick. He said that's not really needed. He's probably right. We live in the same house. Touch many of the same things. Share the same bathroom. So we wash hands a lot. I try to keep my distance as much as possible.

Keith has been amazing. He's the one with cancer, hooked up to all kinds of weird stuff. Yet he has fetched drinks, and cool cloths and medicine for me. I have felt so helpless. I'm not the one who is supposed to need help right now. This whole situation feels upside-down.

I guess I just need to learn to say 'thanks.' It's good to have such a caring family.

Thanks, honey. I love you.

No comments: